Tuesday, June 5, 2007

2007 Reebok Grand Prix

Hello everyone,

Upon arriving in New York City, I was once again reminded of what I had left behind. Many years ago I use to live in Brooklyn, New York and I was actually born in the Coney Island Hospital. I can remember the loudness, the lights, the constant motion, and of course the speeding taxi's and crazy drivers. I could not believe that I was in the city again. There is something about New York that you just have to love. It's a great diverse place and a wonderful city to visit. Most of all it's always exciting to run at Icahn Stadium!!!

Since I had not raced in two weeks before this, I was very excited about the meet and even started to get nervous as I picked up my bags from baggage claim. I had set some goals for myself while on the plane ride and definitely felt pretty good coming into the meet. The day of the meet is always very critical for me, starting with what I eat for breakfast, how I arrange my uniform, and even how I put on my lucky gold eyeshadow. Yes... that right that is my trademark, I will always wear gold eyeshadow in all my races.....it makes me think of going for the gold. Once I arrive at the track, I usually go through my routine warm-up and mentally prepare for my race. I knew that I was in lane 2 for the 400 meters, and my goal was to get out quickly for my first 200 meters of the race and really pick it up and finish strong.

That's is not quite what happened.....for those of you who aren't familiar with the 400 meters, here's the break down. In the race you always want to work on making up the stagger and getting out quickly. In my race on Saturday I got out slow in my first 200, which made me have to work harder on the third 100 meters and then really push it in the last 100 meters. I was able to push myself into a third place finish. I wasn't too excited with my overall time, but I was happy to place third among such an elite field of women 400 meter runners. My time of 51.35 is not too far off my PR of 51.19, so staying consistent is definitely what I wanted to accomplish. Looking back I can see my areas that need improving, so the plan is to work on those daily in practice for the upcoming weeks leading to Nationals. So look out here I come!!!!!

Thanks for stopping by....

1 comment:

Amy said...

Mary,
I am so proud of you!!!

I miss you dearly at Altercrest and so do the kids, but we all understand and support you 100% !!

I can't wait for Emma to go to school and tell her friends that she personally knows an Olympic runner!! We love you!!!!!!!!!

Nathan, Amy and Emma