Tuesday, June 26, 2007

AT&T Outdoor Nationals - Semi-Finals- 400meters

Day 2
Heat 1, Lane 5

It is now day two of the women's 400 meters here in Indianapolis. The weather has been holding up well for me, but I questioned if my body would be able to run another round. I came into the race with my lower back being slightly sore and my legs were also a little sore from the previous day. As a sprinter when you get to these championships, you realize that you body may be in pain, but the race must go on. I ignored that my back was sore and stuck to my game plan of completing the race.

I was very excited with my day one, I didn't take it out too hard, and I was able to run a relaxed race. I can remember commenting to my coach after day one..."that race suprisingly didn't feel that great , but it was a 2nd best time only to the 50.95 run last week" My coach assured me that I would be fine and just needed to get the first one out of the way. He reminded me to run my race and finish in the top 2 so that I could get a good lane in the final. So with that said the goal was Top 2.

The outcome of this race was just as I had planned. I got second in my heat and was relieved that it was over. Unlike the day before, I felt great in this race. After coming around the 2nd curve I was able to relax down the final straight away and easily hold off the straining girls behind me. The time was a 51.06, my second best time ever and I knew I had alot more left in the tank. It gave me a great deal of confidence going into the final the next day. I was still very nervous though, knowing that one of the most important days of the year would be tomorrow, the women's 400 final. This is only my second time ever making it to an Outdoor Final. Last year I had placed fifth and was taken as a relay alternate to Athens, Greece for the World Cup. I didn't get an opportunity to run at that meet and it reminded me what it felt like to be on the outside looking in.....this would be my motivation to finish high in the final.

No comments: